10 Uses for Propane at Home
If you think propane gas is only for grilling, you’re missing out on one of the most versatile home fuels around.
Truth is, clean, green propane can be used to power just about any appliance inside or outside your home. It burns hot and clean, is made in America, and can keep your family warm and secure all year long.
Here are 10 of the best ways to use propane to power better quality of life in your Finger Lakes-area home:
- Water heaters – High-efficiency propane water heaters cost up to 30 percent less to operate than electric heaters, with a recovery rate that’s nearly twice as fast. Bottom line: you’ll pay less for your hot water – and if you opt for a propane tankless water heater, you’ll have an endless supply of it on hand.
- Space heaters – Direct-vent and vent-free propane space heaters are a safe, easy to install, and incredibly efficient way to heat a chronically cold room. They burn fuel cleaner, too, with fewer pollutants and harmful emissions than fuel oil space heaters.
- Furnaces – Because propane burns much hotter and heats more efficiently than electricity, investing in a propane furnace can pay for itself in just a few years. Propane furnaces last longer, too – typically about 50 percent longer than electric heat pumps.
- Hearths – A propane gas fireplace gives you the beauty of a wood fire at the click of a button, with no set-up or clean up headaches. They’re also 5-6 times more efficient than wood burning fireplace, don’t create a dangerous buildup of creosote in your chimney, and don’t produce flying cinders that can pose a fire hazard.
- Backup generators – Severe weather is becoming more and more common, and the power outages they often bring can be inconvenient or even dangerous to your family. Whole-house propane generators can help keep your family safe and comfortable and your house and valuables protected.
- Ovens and cooktops – There’s a reason why 95 percent of professional chefs cook with gas rather than electric. With precision temperature control and more even heat distribution, nothing beats a propane cooktop or range.
- Outdoor cooking grills – Remember that precision temperature control? You can have it outdoors too if you choose a propane cooking grill. Portable and built-in outdoor propane gas grills start fast, cook evenly, and produce no charcoal residue, ash or harmful emissions.
- Outdoor living appliances – Your outdoor space isn’t just for grilling. Transform your backyard into your family’s favorite place to gather and relax by adding an outdoor propane fireplace or fire pit, a propane patio heater or even propane-powered lighting.
- Pool heaters – Add weeks to your outdoor swim season with a propane pool heater; electric or solar heaters can’t touch propane and its water heating power.
- Clothes dryers – Propane burns hotter than electricity, which means that a propane dryer will take less time to dry a load of laundry and cost less money to operate. Less time in the drying cycle also means less wear and tear on fabrics.
Clean, green propane: the do-anything fuel for your Ithaca-area home. Contact us today to learn more about propane conversions and other propane services from Ehrhart Energy, including reliable propane deliveries in the Finger Lakes area!