Five Ways to Get Your Home Heating System Fall-Ready
Believe it or not, summer is past the halfway point, and before you know it Labor Day 2019 will be behind us.
Before your summer completely slips away, it’s a great idea to make some time to have a heating expert perform routine maintenance on your equipment. Once Labor Day hits, you’ll be fighting the crowds for a convenient appointment time with one of our licensed, bonded heating technicians – by putting off your heating maintenance by even a few weeks, you might find yourself at the end of a line of customers that stretches into October!
While you’re waiting for your heating service appointment, here are five things you can do right now to ease the transition to fall in your home:
- Test your thermostat. Now is a great time make sure your thermostat is working right, and to learn how to program it if you don’t know how to already (it will be a great investment of time, considering proper use of your thermostat could save you 10 percent or more on your heating bill). If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, we urge you to install one – it will more than likely pay for itself in the first year of use.
- Improve your insulation. Most Upstate New York homes are under-insulated, which is too bad when you consider that insulation is one of the most cost effective ways to lower your heating (and cooling) bills. For further tips on where and how much to insulate, check out this energy.gov post.
- Seal windows and doors. Drafts are the enemy of energy efficiency year-round, and summer is a great time to address them. Check the around and under your doors and windows to make sure they’re draft-free. If they aren’t, use caulk, weatherstripping and door sweeps to plug any gaps. For more tips on air sealing, check out this post.
- Take care of your roof. Fewer people invest in roofing projects during this summer, which means you’re more likely to find a qualified roof expert to do the job. Skip those roof repairs and you could end up with efficiency-sapping drafts, or even a mold problem – something you definitely want to avoid.
- Replace your old furnace or boiler. Remember those busy heating experts who won’t have time to maintain your equipment after Labor Day? They won’t have time to install your new heating equipment, either. If you’re planning a heating system upgrade, get a FREE, no obligation estimate now so you’ll have some time to schedule a heating system installation before busy season starts.
Stay ahead of the crowd so your heating system will be ready to go on day 1 of heating season 2019-20. IF you’re looking for a heating expert in Ithaca and the rest of our Finger Lakes service area, nobody beats Ehrhart Energy. Contact us today to learn more.