Five Ways to Prepare Your Propane-Powered Home for Heating Season
The leaves are finally starting to turn here in and around Ithaca, and soon the cool weather will arrive to the Finger Lakes in earnest. When that happens, it will be time to rely on our home heating systems to keep us warm at night.
If you live in a propane-powered home, here are five things you can do to prepare for the fall and winter to come:
- Schedule your propane delivery early – Demand raises propane prices and makes scheduling a propane delivery more difficult, so order your fuel in the early fall rather than in the dead of winter. While you’re at it, consider signing up for our automatic propane delivery from Ehrhart Energy so you don’t have to check your propane levels or worry about run-outs the rest of the season.
- Fix problem propane equipment ASAP – If you have any problems with your propane furnace, boiler, or other equipment, take care of them before the cold weather sets in. If you don’t have any heating system problems and want to keep it that way, contact us to schedule preventative maintenance – it will help your heating equipment to run as efficiently as possible, which will save you money on fuel and help you avoid unexpected mid-season heating repairs and breakdowns.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Properly using a programmable thermostat can help you save up to 10 percent on your heating bills, says the U.S. Department of Energy (D.O.E.). Aim for a temperature of 68 degrees for the best balance of comfort and energy efficiency when people are home, and drop that temperature when people are away or asleep.
- Let the sun in – Leave your curtains and blinds open during the day to absorb the sun’s radiant heat; just make sure to close them at night to keep the heat in. Choosing better window coverings can help, too, says the D.O.E.
- Lower your water heater thermostat – Most water heater thermostats have a higher default temperature setting than you need; according to the D.O.E., 120 degrees is enough for most hot water applications in your home. Install low-flow showerheads and aerators to reduce energy consumption and reduce your water-heating bill.
Cooler weather is coming to Upstate New York – is your heating equipment ready for the challenge? It will be if you schedule expert propane system service from the pros at Ehrhart. For great propane equipment installations and maintenance, and the most reliable propane deliveries in the Finger Lakes area, no one beats Ehrhart Energy.