How Can I Save Money with Propane This Fall?
Propane is one of the most versatile sources of home energy around, able to power just about any appliance inside or outside your home. But it’s when you combine that versatility with propane’s efficiency that propane really begins to shine.
Because the structure of propane gas is so simple, it burns hot and clean – a big reason why it’s able to deliver such incredible performance in terms of energy per dollar (all while producing perhaps the smallest carbon footprint of any fuel around).
Consider the ways that propane appliances can save money for you in your Finger Lakes-area home:
- Furnaces – A propane gas furnace will reach efficiency rating percentages well into the high 90s – higher than any other type of furnace. Manufacturers of electric heat pumps may claim their efficiencies are just as high, but that doesn’t take into account the fact that heat pumps engage a supplemental (and much less efficient) backup heat source once temperatures drop below freezing. In a cold climate like ours, that can make a big difference in your bills.
- Water heating – A propane water heater produces hot water for about half the cost of an electric water heater – or even less if you use a tankless system. A propane storage-type water heater also has a much faster recovery rate than an electric storage water heater – another win for propane.
- Clothes dryers – A propane clothes dryer will do its job about twice as fast as its electric counterpart, and produce less static cling along the way (which means your clothes will last longer, too).
- Propane hearths – Wood fires are great, but they are incredibly inefficient – only about 20 percent of the heat that a wood fire produces goes to warming your room. That’s about one quarter the efficiency of a propane fireplace. Throw in the one-button convenience of a propane fireplace, fireplace insert, or log set, and the propane advantage becomes clear.
- Space heaters – High efficiency propane indoor space heaters can be matched to the heating load of a problem room in your house, creating a super efficient heating solution for your spare room, sun room, hobby room, or garage workspace.
The bottom line: When it comes to efficiently powering your home comfort equipment, propane delivers, especially when compared to electricity – which means lower bills, more comfort, and a more climate-friendly home.
Thinking about adding a propane-powered appliance? We can help! Contact us today to learn more about propane equipment installations in Ithaca and the surrounding Finger Lakes area.