Need Help with Heating Bills This Holiday Season? Assistance Is Available
The holiday season is a time to gather with family and enjoy the warm comforts of home here in the Finger Lakes. But keeping your family safe, warm and comfortable can be a challenge during the winter months if you have recently lost a job or are otherwise struggling to make ends meet in your Ithaca-area home.
The good news is that help is available if you live in NY State and have trouble paying your heating bill this winter – courtesy of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
Here are four common questions and answers about HEAP to help you get the application process started.
What is HEAP? HEAP is a federal program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. HEAP offers several types of help for eligible, including Regular and Emergency benefits, Heating Repair or Replacement benefits, and Clean and Tune Benefits.
- What are the HEAP program requirements? – To qualify for HEAP, you must be a resident of NY State with a monthly household income (before taxes) that must not exceed the amounts indicated here.
HEAP eligibility and benefits are based on:
- household size
- the primary heating source
- the presence of a household member who is under age 6, age 60 or older or permanently disabled
To find out if you may be eligible and apply for HEAP and other programs and services, visit this NY State eligibility page for prescreening requirements.
- How can I apply for HEAP?
- for REGULAR benefits, you can apply:
- for EMERGENCY benefits, you can apply by phone or in person at your HEAP Local District
- for Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement benefits, you must apply in person at your HEAP Local District
- for HEAP Clean and Tune benefits, call your HEAP Local District and ask for an application